Castlefield Gallery and Aarhus Center for Visual Art have joined together to launch SUSTAIN, a two-year programme of professional development and artist exchange focussed on developing low carbon and ecologically aware ways of producing and experiencing art. Contemporary visual artists living and/or working in Greater Manchester and the Aarhus region can apply for two opportunities:
Opportunity 1: SUSTAIN Artist Digital Exchange
Five artists from Greater Manchester and five artists from Aarhus will take part in a six-month programme of workshops, talks, visits, critical feedback and professional support focussed on low carbon artmaking.
Opportunity 2: SUSTAIN Slow Culture Residency Exchange
1 artist from Greater Manchester and 1 artist from Aarhus will undertake a 2-month ‘Slow Culture Residency’, making use of only slow and low carbon travel to travel between Manchester and Aarhus.
Deadline: 12 noon, Friday 3 September 2021
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must be contemporary visual artists living and/or working in Greater Manchester.
Please read further information in each recruitment pack below and carefully note the eligibility and selection criteria for both opportunities.
nb. If you are applying for both opportunities, you must complete and submit both application forms.
SUSTAIN Artist Digital Exchange will bring together 10 visual artists living and working in Manchester and Aarhus (5 from each location), to take part in a 6-month Artist Digital Exchange (October 2021 to March 2022). The exchange will focus on climate change and low carbon culture in the context of artistic production, work and consumption in an international context. nb. this exchange is open to contemporary visual artists working in any medium, but it will take place digitally.
Participants will benefit from:
• Support via specialist speaker-led sessions and workshops from in- and outside the arts sector, such as academic researchers and relevant practitioners from other cultural fields.
• Access to critical feedback from organisation staff at Castlefield Gallery and Aarhus Center for Visual Art and from the other artists involved.
• Being equipped with skills and strategies for peer learning, enabling them to take forward self-led development and aiding dialogue, momentum and ideas generation.
• Support to establish as an international peer network of visual artists engaged in low carbon artmaking and equipped with intelligence, ideas and a voice of influence regarding their practice, careers and low carbon culture in an international context.
• Bursary of £1,000
• Access to a production budget with which to produce artistic outputs to share their ideas, experiences and learning with the wider public.
SUSTAIN Slow Culture Residency Exchange
SUSTAIN will also invite 2 artists living and working in Manchester and Aarhus (1 from each location) to undertake a 2-month Slow Culture Residency Exchange (May/June in Manchester; August/September in Aarhus), making use of only slow and low carbon travel to travel between Manchester and Aarhus.
Each artist will receive:
• a stipend of £2,200
• production budget for the creation of work during the residency and also for sharing of work and ideas
• studio and accommodation in Aarhus for the duration of the residency
• funding to cover travel costs, including visa fees, any required Covid-19 tests and insurance.
Design by Textbook Studio