CG Associates is a membership scheme for artists, writers and independent curators working in contemporary art. It is aimed at artists, writers and curators consciously making and exhibiting work as part of an ongoing critical debate about the direction of contemporary art.
CG Associates was set up in 2012 by Castlefield Gallery to provide members with information, skills, opportunities, resources, promotion and critical dialogue. The CG Associates scheme acts as a hub, bringing together artists, curators and writers, facilitating critical exchange and engagement with members’ work and strengthening the artistic ecology of the North West. The scheme includes user-generated activities, developed in response to members’ needs and requests.
Annual membership costs £60; you can join here.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Opportunities to apply for one or two Launch Pad projects a year at Castlefield Gallery (more information about Launch Pad here).
- Access to temporary spaces via Castlefield Gallery’s New Art Spaces scheme, which offers ‘Pop-up’ project/exhibition spaces for artists and creative practitioners. (for more information about New Art Spaces visit castlefieldgallery.co.uk/newartspaces)
- An hour’s one-to-one advisory session with a key member of Castlefield Gallery staff.
- Members’ names and a link to their website/blog listed on Castlefield Gallery website.
- Monthly CG Associates sessions, e.g. crit sessions with other CG Associates and invited artists.
- Peer-to-peer crit sessions.
- Show and Tell sessions with other CG Associates and invited artists.
- Practical workshops for CG Associates, e.g. on how to make the most of your digital presence.
- Invitations to Castlefield Gallery exhibition previews and events.
- 10% in-store discount at Fred Aldous
Events and opportunities to date have included:
- Research trips to artist-led projects in Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Cardiff and Nottingham
- MSB2015 residency exchange with Extra Special People and Stryx in Birmingham and Bloc Projects in Sheffield
- G.O. North West residency at New Art Gallery Walsall
- Monthly sessions with artists including Iain Andrews, Brass Art, Nicola Dale, Nina Edge. Kerry Morrison, Trevor Pitt, Rosalie Schweiker and Hayley Newman
- Individual crits with Plastique Fantastique and Hayley Newman
- Intellectual Property for Artists
- Workshop on Photographing your Work with Jules Lister
- Sessions on writing Arts Council applications
- How to write residency proposals
- Getting your work across online and in writing
- Session on art fairs, using The Manchester Contemporary as a case study, with Paulette Terry Brien of The International 3
- Show and Tell sessions
- Small group crits
- Session on Web Marketing for Artists by Axisweb
- Two Web Build training sessions by web developers ohdigital