Please note that Castlefield Gallery Associates is continuing to run its programme during the Covid-19 outbreak. All sessions are being moved online and we are looking at how we can best support, stimulate and connect our members during this crisis. We have put together a resource list for artists and freelancers in the creative industries, which we will continue to add to.
Castlefield Gallery Associates is a membership scheme for artists, writers and independent curators working in contemporary art. It is aimed at artists, writers and curators consciously making and exhibiting work as part of an ongoing critical debate about the direction of contemporary art.
It was set up in 2012 by Castlefield Gallery to provide members with information, skills, opportunities, resources, promotion and critical dialogue. The Castlefield Gallery Associates acts as a hub, bringing together artists, curators and writers, facilitating critical exchange and engagement with members’ work and strengthening the artistic ecology of the North West. The scheme includes user-generated activities, developed in response to members’ needs and requests.
Annual membership costs £60; you can join here.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Opportunities to apply for once or twice a year for the Castlefield Gallery Associates Members Exhibition (more information here).
- Access to temporary spaces via Castlefield Gallery’s New Art Spaces scheme, which offers ‘Pop-up’ project/exhibition spaces for artists and creative practitioners. (for more information about New Art Spaces visit castlefieldgallery.co.uk/newartspaces)
- Artist talks
- Peer-to-peer crit sessions.
- Show and Tell sessions with other Castlefield Gallery Associates and invited artists
- Practical workshops e.g. on how to make the most of your digital presence
- An hour’s one-to-one advisory session with a key member of Castlefield Gallery staff
- Members’ names and a link to their website/blog listed on Castlefield Gallery website
- Invitations to Castlefield Gallery exhibition previews and events
- 10% discount at Fred Aldous
Events and opportunities to date have included:
- Research trips to artist-led projects in Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Cardiff and Nottingham
- Artist talks including Iain Andrews, Brass Art, Chloe Cooper, Nicola Dale, Fran Disley, Nina Edge, Sally Gilford and Hannah Leighton-Boyce, Tom James and Alex Hartley, Jade Montserrat, Trevor Pitt, Rosalie Schweiker and Hayley Newman
- Individual crits with Tom James and Alex Hartley, Plastique Fantastique and Hayley Newman
- Residency exchanges with Extra Special People and Stryx (Birmingham) and Bloc Projects (Sheffield)
- G.O. North West residency at New Art Gallery Walsall
- Practical sessions including:
Writing About Your Practice with Laura Robertson of the Double Negative
Pricing Your Work with Grundy curator Paulette Brien
Intellectual Property for Artists with Hope London Morris
Photographing your Work with Jules Lister
Starter Guide to Getting Press
Getting your work across online and in writing
Web marketing for artists with Axisweb
- Show and Tell sessions
- Group crits