Castlefield Gallery Associates is running a blended, in person and online event programme.
Castlefield Gallery Associates is a membership scheme for artists, writers and independent curators working in contemporary art. It is aimed at artists, writers and curators making and exhibiting work engaged with critical debates around contemporary art practice .
It was set up in 2012 by Castlefield Gallery to provide members with information, skills, opportunities, resources, promotion and critical dialogue. The Castlefield Gallery Associates acts as a hub, bringing together creative practitioners, facilitating critical exchange and engagement with members’ work and strengthening the artistic ecology of the North West.
We host regular monthly events that are devised in response to our wider gallery programme and reflect the needs, requests and interests of our members.
Annual membership costs £60; you can join here.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Opportunities to apply for the Castlefield Gallery Associates Members Exhibition (more information here).
- Access to temporary spaces via Castlefield Gallery’s New Art Spaces scheme, which offers ‘Pop-up’ project/exhibition spaces for artists and creative practitioners. (for more information about New Art Spaces visit castlefieldgallery.co.uk/newartspaces)
- Participation in a programme of monthly events / talks including practical workshops and peer-to-peer crit sessions.
- One-to-one advisory sessions with Castlefield Gallery Curator Matthew Pendergast or Castlefield Gallery Director Helen Wewiora
- Members’ names and a link to their website/blog listed on Castlefield Gallery website
- 10% discount at Fred Aldous
Recent events and opportunities have included:
- Artist talks by David Blandy, Chloe Cooper, Fran Disley, Ellie Harrison, Jade Montserrat and Cecila Wee amongst others
- Individual crits with artists Plastique Fantastique and Hayley Newman
- Creative exchanges with Extra Ordinary People (Eastside Projects), Primary (Nottingham), The NewBridge Project (Newcastle), Spike Island Associates (Bristol), CAMP (Plymouth), Turf Projects (Croydon) and Bloc Projects (Sheffield)
- Creative Workshops, such as “how to make films on your phone” with artist John Powell Jones.
- Practical sessions around artists professional and creative development: Copyright for Artists with DACS, Applying to National Lottery Project Grants and Pricing Your Work with Grundy curator Paulette Brien.
Image: Cecilia Wee and The Vacuum Cleaner in a promo video for With For About (2020). Image courtesy Cecilia Wee for her talk with Castlefield Gallery Associates in October 2021.