Castlefield Gallery Associates is a membership scheme for artists, writers and independent curators working in contemporary art. It is aimed at artists, writers and curators consciously making and exhibiting work as part of an ongoing critical debate about the direction of contemporary art.
It was set up in 2012 by Castlefield Gallery to provide members with information, skills, opportunities, resources, promotion and critical dialogue. The Castlefield Gallery Associates acts as a hub, bringing together artists, curators and writers, facilitating critical exchange and engagement with members’ work and strengthening the artistic ecology of the North West. The scheme includes user-generated activities, developed in response to members’ needs and requests.
Annual membership costs £60; you can join here.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Opportunities to apply for once or twice a year for the Castlefield Gallery Associates Members Exhibition (more information here).
- Access to temporary spaces via Castlefield Gallery’s New Art Spaces scheme, which offers ‘Pop-up’ project/exhibition spaces for artists and creative practitioners. (for more information about New Art Spaces visit castlefieldgallery.co.uk/newartspaces)
- An hour’s one-to-one advisory session with a key member of Castlefield Gallery staff.
- Members’ names and a link to their website/blog listed on Castlefield Gallery website.
- Monthly sessions, e.g. crit sessions with other Castlefield Gallery Associates and invited artists.
- Peer-to-peer crit sessions.
- Show and Tell sessions with other Castlefield Gallery Associates and invited artists.
- Practical workshops e.g. on how to make the most of your digital presence.
- Invitations to Castlefield Gallery exhibition previews and events.
- 10% discount at Fred Aldous
Events and opportunities to date have included:
- Research trips to artist-led projects in Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool, Cardiff and Nottingham
- Monthly sessions with artists including Iain Andrews, Brass Art, Nicola Dale, Nina Edge, Sally Gilford and Hannah Leighton-Boyce, Tom James and Alex Hartley, Jade Montserrat, Kerry Morrison, Trevor Pitt, Rosalie Schweiker and Hayley Newman
- Individual crits with Tom James and Alex Hartley, Plastique Fantastique and Hayley Newman
- Artists and Scientists
- Intellectual Property for Artists
- Workshop on Photographing your Work with Jules Lister
- Sessions on writing Arts Council applications
- Starter Guide to Getting Press
- How to write residency proposals
- Getting your work across online and in writing
- Session on art fairs, using The Manchester Contemporary as a case study, with curator Paulette Terry Brien
- Show and Tell sessions
- Small group crits
- Session on Web Marketing for Artists by Axisweb
- Two Web Build training sessions by web developers ohdigital
- MSB2015 residency exchange with Extra Special People and Stryx in Birmingham and Bloc Projects in Sheffield
- G.O. North West residency at New Art Gallery Walsall