Are you a Castlefield Gallery Associate?
Do you have an exhibition or project you are keen to bring to fruition?
Would you like the opportunity to exhibit your work in Castlefield Gallery?
We are excited to invite members of Castlefield Gallery Associates to submit proposals for an exhibition that will form part of the gallery’s programme. The selected Castlefield Gallery Associate will receive a budget of up to £2,000 as well as curatorial guidance and technical support to bring the project to fruition.
What to propose
We are looking for timely and ambitious proposals which enable those involved to significantly develop their practice and profile. Proposals can be for a solo or group exhibition and may include related activities such as talks, tours and workshops.
Proposals will be selected by Castlefield Gallery Curator & Deputy Director Matthew Pendergast, Castlefield Gallery Associates Programme Co-ordinator Laura Mansfield and guest selector artist Harold Offeh.
Harold Offeh (b. 1977, Ghana) lives and works in Cambridge and London. Offeh is an artist working across performance, video, photography, learning and social arts practice. He is interested in the space created by the inhabiting or embodying of histories. He employs humour as a means to confront the viewer with historical narratives and contemporary culture.
How to Apply
Please download and read the Applicant Information document that can be found in the Gallery Downloads section at the bottom of this page to find out more.
To apply please submit:
– A project proposal (500 words max).
– Artist info (250 words per artist max).
– Images: maximum 12, or 4 per artist for group projects.
– Breakdown of the proposed budget (the gallery will provide up to £2,000; towards production and fees which successful applicants can allocate as they feel is appropriate. If your project involves multiple individuals please consider how you will cover fees as well as production materials, transport, documentation, travel expenses etc. (see Paying Artists and the Artist-led Manifesto for guidance on exhibition fees). You are also welcome to supplement the given budget from other sources.
Please provide all the information and images in a single pdf no more than 10MB in size, which can include hyperlinks to other images and videos, and send it to email@example.com by 5pm, Monday 20 June 2022.
For any Castlefield Gallery Associates who would like guidance, feedback and support on their draft project proposal we will be hosting surgeries with Castlefield Gallery Curator & Deputy Director Matthew Pendergast and Associates Programme Coordinator Laura Mansfield. You can book a 30 minute one-to-one with either Matthew or Laura on the following dates:
– Monday 28 March
– Tuesday 29 March
– Tuesday 19 April
– Tuesday 7 June
To attend a surgery please book a slot here
If you have any access requirements that could be a barrier to applying or taking part in the opportunity please contact Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0161 832 8034. Our office hours are Tuesday–Sunday, 10am–6pm. Castlefield Gallery offices are closed on Mondays.
– Application Deadline: to submit proposal 5pm, Monday 20 June 2022
– Proposal surgeries: 28 March, 29 March, 19 April, 7 June 2022
– Successful applicants will be notified by 5pm, Wednesday 6 July 2022
– Exhibition dates: 12 February – 5 March 2023*
– Public preview: Thursday 9 February and Slow-Saturday Preview: Saturday 11 February 2023
*Please bear in mind that it may not be possible to open the gallery in the event of a lockdown or similar restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. To that end, please consider how your work might also translate to an online or digital platform so that it can in some way be experienced by audiences unable to visit the gallery.