Application deadline: Monday 3 July 2023, 5pm
Are you a Castlefield Gallery Associate?
Do you have an exhibition or project you are keen to bring to fruition?
Would you like the opportunity to exhibit your work in Castlefield Gallery?
We are excited to invite Castlefield Gallery Associates to submit proposals for an exhibition that will form part of the gallery’s programme. The selected Castlefield Gallery Associate will receive a budget of up to £2,000 as well as curatorial guidance and technical support to bring the project to fruition.
What to propose
We are looking for timely and ambitious proposals which enable those involved to significantly develop their practice and profile. Proposals can be for a solo or group exhibition and may include related activities such as talks, tours and workshops.
Proposals will be selected by Castlefield Gallery Curator and Deputy Director Matthew Pendergast, Castlefield Gallery Associates Coordinator Laura Mansfield and guest selector curator, writer and researcher Stella Sideli. Having previously joined us at the gallery for an in-conversation event we are delighted to welcome Stella back to help us with our selection task.
Stella Sideli is an independent curator, writer, researcher and producer working in the UK, Europe and the Mediterranean. She is concerned with the intersection of institutional programmes and feminist/queer theories, decolonial practices and ethics of curating; the relationship between curator and artist; emerging technologies, capitalism and the aesthetics of digital culture, with attention to interdisciplinary practices.
How to Apply
– A project proposal (500 words max).
– Artist info (250 words per artist max).
– Images: maximum 12, or 4 per artist for group projects.
– Breakdown of the proposed budget (the gallery will provide up to £2,000; towards production and fees which successful applicants can allocate as they feel is appropriate. If your project involves multiple individuals please consider how you will cover fees as well as production materials, transport, documentation, travel expenses etc. (see Paying Artists and the Artist-led Manifesto for guidance on exhibition fees). You are also welcome to supplement the given budget from other sources.
– Please provide all the information and images in a single pdf no more than 10MB in size, which can include hyperlinks to other images and videos, and send it to email@example.com by 5pm, Monday 3 July 2023
For any Castlefield Gallery Associates who would like guidance, feedback and support on their draft project proposal we will be hosting surgeries with Castlefield Gallery Curator & Deputy Director Matthew Pendergast and Castlefield Gallery Associates Coordinator Laura Mansfield. You can book a 30 minute one-to-one with either Matthew or Laura on the following dates:
– Tuesday 23rd May
– Wednesday 31st May
– Tuesday 6th June
– Tuesday 13th June
To attend a surgery please book a slot here https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/b83AOmWa
If you have any access requirements that could be a barrier to applying or taking part in the opportunity please contact Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0161 832 8034. Our office hours are Tuesday–Sunday, 10am–6pm. Castlefield Gallery offices are closed on Mondays.
– Application Deadline: 5pm, Monday 3 July 2023
– Proposal surgeries: 23 & 31 May, 6 & 13 June
– Successful applicants will be notified by 5pm, Tuesday 25 July 2023
– Exhibition dates: 4 February – 3 March 2024
– Public preview: Thursday 8 February and Slow-Saturday Preview: Saturday 10 February 2024
Further information on exhibition logistics as well as the access, equality and diversity policy of Castlefield Gallery and the terms and conditions of participating in the exhibition programme can all be found HERE