CG Associates is a membership scheme for artists, writers and independent curators working in contemporary art. It has been developed by Castlefield Gallery to support members in developing their work and careers by providing information, skills, opportunities, resources, promotion and critical dialogue. The CG Associates scheme acts as a hub, bringing together artists, curators and writers, facilitating critical exchange and engagement with members’ work and strengthening the artistic ecology of the North West. The scheme includes user-generated activities, developed in response to members’ needs and requests.
Annual membership costs £60; you can join here.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- Opportunities to apply for two or three Launch Pad projects a year at Castlefield Gallery (more information about Launch Pad here).
- Access to temporary spaces via Castlefield Gallery’s New Art Spaces scheme, which offers ‘Pop-up’ project/exhibition spaces for artists and creative practitioners. (for more information about New Art Spaces visit castlefieldgallery.co.uk/newartspaces)
- An hour’s one-to-one advisory session with a key member of Castlefield Gallery staff.
- Access to expert professional development training and workshops, for example on pricing, copyright, selling work and web presence.
- Members’ names and a link to their website/blog listed on Castlefield Gallery website.
- Monthly CG Associates sessions, e.g. crit sessions with other CG Associates and invited artists.
- Peer-to-peer critiques.
- Show and Tell sessions with other CG Associates and invited artists.
- CG Associates can book the gallery outside of exhibition hours for meetings, crit groups, photography etc.
- Practical workshops for CG Associates, e.g. on how to make the most of your digital presence.
- Invitations to Castlefield Gallery exhibition previews and events.
- 15% discount at Blyth’s Art Shop
Events and opportunities to date have included:
- Research trips to artist-led projects in Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool and Nottingham
- MSB2015 residency exchange with Extra Special People and Stryx in Birmingham and Bloc Projects in Sheffield
- G.O. North West residency at New Art Gallery Walsall
- Film Open competition with Extra Special People, Transmission (Glasgow) Spike Associates (Bristol) and S1 Artspace (Sheffield), selected by Steven Cairns, ICA Associate Curator of Artists’ Film and Moving Image
- Monthly sessions with artists including Iain Andrews, Kerry Morrison, Trevor Pitt and Rosalie Schweiker
- Infoshares on writing proposals and on Arts Council applications
- Session on art fairs, using The Manchester Contemporary as a case study, with Paulette Terry Brien of The International 3
- Show and Tell sessions
- Small group crits
- Session on Web Marketing for Artists by Axisweb
- Two Web Build training sessions by web developers ohdigital
- Trip to the Mayfield Depot during Manchester International Festival to see Mette Ingvartsen’s Evaporated Landscapes and Tino Sehgal’s This Variation, with talk from Sehgal’s co-curator and collaborator Asad Raza